Hello and good tidings! I hope and trust that you are all enjoying your summer. We at Q Sciences strive to not only provide you with the very best supplements conceivable, but through this and other forums, we want to give you the tips and information necessary to custom-tailor your program for optimal results.
Let’s pause a moment and consider the very unique nature of each man, woman, and child. Not only are we all unique genetically, but our interactions with the world, including jobs, relationships, and physical conditions, make each day’s nutritional program a fascinating challenge that can teach us so much. That is not to mention the three million genes from our intestinal “bacterial/biome” and how that affects our body, mind, and emotions. Learning how to match our daily supplement intake with our particular needs pays off with dividends that last a lifetime.
When mapping out a nutritional program remember to consider your genetic and biological makeup. Do you have a personal or family history or predisposition to a medical condition, such as osteoporosis (brittle bones), mental disorders, heart disease, or diabetes? Doing so will help you avoid nutrient deficiencies and insufficiencies in the areas you are the most vulnerable.
Overcoming nutrient deficiency and insufficiency is the first step to discovering optimal health. Bear in mind that the FDA and USDA establish the micronutrient levels for deficiency and insufficiency, and that they are basically educated guesses. In reality, people have varying nutritional needs that change over time. Taking a balanced micronutrient formula (EMPowerplusTM Q96) daily is a great way to make sure we’re getting the nutrients we need.*
Our overall health and wellness may be disrupted by a deficiency in crucial nutrients. Unfortunately, many nutrient deficiencies go unnoticed or untreated.
- True nutritional deficiencies are considered to be rare, but that is only because by the time symptoms and signs of deficiency are present, the lack of one or more nutrients has most likely been present for many years.
- In cases of malnutrition from bulimia, or poverty, or just poor education, deficiencies can result in serious medical problems, but in many cases they are not noticed for what they are and may go untreated.
- Nutritional deficiencies are actually much more common than most doctors are willing (or able) to recognize, and treating them is really rather simple. Using EMPowerplusTM Q96 daily, for example will address all common micronutrient nutritional deficiencies, but it may take months for symptoms to disappear and for the body to completely recover from a lack of one or more nutrients.
- Please note that EMPowerplusTM Q96 contains niacinamide, and not niacin, and the label puts the niacin first and then includes niacinamide in parentheses. I just want to make sure that nobody believes that taking EMPowerplusTM Q96 will cause a niacin flush (temporary red, itchy skin) as that question has come up as a concern. Niacinamide is very well tolerated and is a vital nerve and brain nutrient.
Did you know that over 50% of the essential brain chemicals-such as serotonin and dopamine-are produced in the intestines?
Even a slight or mild lack of essential micronutrients may lead to countless health concerns. This is why supplementing your nutritional intake is always a good idea and may be the simplest solution to many of today’s health challenges.
- When you have a chronic but mild lack of micronutrients you are considered insufficient. This a squishy term, as nobody says what might happen if you go for years with a low dose of essential micronutrients, but we know it is not good for you.
- Insufficiency is usually detected by rather expensive blood test, and even those are unreliable and variable as they reflect your intake over the past day or two and do not detect potentially dangerous long-term insufficiencies.
- A classic example of insufficiency is vitamin D, and recently the FDA adjusted the levels arbitrarily, as there was a big influx of people testing the D3 levels coming up as deficient. Instead of highlighting the very real concern about this essential nutrient, they unfortunately chose to simply raise the bar. This is old thinking. We now have abundant evidence that we could all use more vitamin D3, especially during winter. As we age, our need for vitamin D increases as we tend to lose bone minerals without a sufficient intake.
- Another issue that is not raised in terms of insufficiency is that of aging. Sure, we can survive on insufficient intake, but the quality of our lives will suffer. Both physical and emotional health is affected, as recent studies indicate that higher vitamin D levels protects telomeres.1
- Telomeres, as you may know, are the strands of genetic material that determine the health of our cells, and shortened telomeres are an indication of advanced aging. If you have shortened telomeres your cells are deficient in crucial genetic information, and this can lead to a host of problems besides accelerated aging.
- This information about vitamin D3 is really rather remarkable, when you consider that eight or more daily sprays of QD3 under the tongue will help slow the aging process. There is evidence that using D3 regularly will actually heal and extend these vital genetic telomeres.
We are always excited to hear about the many benefits people are experiencing with our products. The following are what we call “anecdotal” testimonials and not clinically scientific, like a study. However, we can draw logical conclusions and inspiration from them nonetheless.
- A valued IBO (independent business owner) with diabetes had her CAC score checked. This is the coronary artery calcium index and it is an accurate indicator of overall heart and whole body health. Normally a diabetic would be expected to have an elevated score, usually above 200. This lady had been taking Qssentials Women, including EMPowerplusTM Q96 and Q Vitalize Caffeine Free for many months. When she checked her score it came back ZERO! This is truly amazing, and since there was nothing else that could account for this, we can assume this combination of tonic and adaptogenic herbs, amino acids, and micronutrients is responsible for this unexpected and happy result.
- Another longtime valued IBO had checked his CAC score before starting our program at the recommendation of his physician. It came back at 189 (or so), indicating a significant amount of calcification in his coronary arteries, and an elevated risk for heart attacks, etc. After taking the Qssentials Men for over a year he had it checked again, and amazingly enough, it came back as another ZERO! This means that his coronary arteries a completely free from the calcium that causes blockages and dangerous inflammation.
These two stories blew me away, as they point to objective evidence of clear and substantial benefit. The CAC score is particularly telling as it also indicates that there is calcium deposition in other arteries and tissues, such as the brain, prostate, and internal organs.
I trust you are all getting lots of good outdoor exercise in these summer months and eating lots of nutrient-dense fresh food. Those are like the other two legs of the three legged chair, with quality Q Sciences nutritional and herbal supplements being the third. Stay tuned next month, as I will have some very exciting news about some new Q Sciences products that will change your lives for the better!
All my best, Dr K
*These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
1J Brent Richards, et al. Higher serum vitamin D concentrations are associated with longer leukocyte telomere length in women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Nov; 86(5): 1420-1425.
2Sarkis Mazmanian, California Institute of Technology, Society for Neuroscience presentation (2014). “Gut Microbes and the Brain: Paradigm Shift in Neuroscience”